03 Mar What does Android for Work mean for your IT department?
Last week, Google announced the launch of the long anticipated Android for Work, which was previously mentioned at last years Google I/O conference in July 2014. Here, we take a look into what Android for Work actually is and how you can benefit from it.
In Google’s own words, “Android for Work is an enterprise mobility management (EMM) platform that lets companies deliver a secure, productive, and rich mobile experience to their employees.” Using Android devices, you can now give more power to your IT teams, keeping control over sensitive work data being accessed via mobile devices.
At present, there are 120 million managed devices in the enterprise, which is expected to almost double by 2016 to 230 million. Android is the world’s most popular OS, and is used by billions of people for both personal and work devices.
With Android for Work, you can transform your organisations mobility performance. Employees can now securely access business information and applications through a secure platform, whether on a work-supplied device or if you are using a BYOD policy.
Before Android for Work, any employees accessing work applications or data via their mobile device would be doing so via the standard applications available in the Google Play Store. Now, IT departments have the ability to set a policy where all work applications and data will be accessed via a separate work profile and container, with options to set additional security controls.
With Android for Work, IT administrators can:
- Make work profiles required on mobile devices
- Whitelist any applications to be used across the organisation
- Automatically configure and approve app installations
- Remotely wipe information
- Set policies for work devices that will enforce security and prevent unapproved data sharing
- Prevent app downloads from unknown sources
- Restrict copying of information in work profile, for example taking screenshots or copy and pasting
End users can:
- Clearly identify which applications are used for work via the Android for Work container and apps with the briefcase icon
- Work from anywhere with access to all your work documents and communication tools
- Clearly differentiate between work data and personal data
- Work from the world’s most popular mobile OS
If you’re already using Google Apps for Work or Google Drive for Work, you should see the management settings for Android for Work appear in the admin console in the following few weeks. For those IT administrators who are considering a new way of working, contact the team at AppsCare to realise how Android for Work can help to transform your workplace. Call us on +44 (0) 113 366 2008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.